Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

WIP: Peugeot 206 S1600 MM24 - Deutschland Rallye

Hello AF modelers,

As I couldn't resist, as always, putting my hands on the freshly arrived new model, the MM24 206 S1600 transkit, and then already started working on it for the review to show some of the modifications needed, I decided to go on with the WIP.

So here is my work on the Transkit, aiming to build the version I saw very closely during the event after having seen it in french championship, Cedric Robert's 2002 Deutschland Rallye car.

Of course a few usuall modifications will be needed to match Deutschland Rallye, I'll change registrations plates using Colorado decals, and put some Renaissance rally plates.

The MM24 transkit, as explained in the review linked above, will be upgraded and improved to be the most accurate as possible to the Deutschland Rallye car.

So let's see the working steps in detail !

The first step is the chassis modification.
Central tunnel shaft has to be cut off, as the whole rear part of the chassis and some of the font one, with attaching pins, what will make scratch new ones to be done later to be able to correctly put together chassis and body.

New rear is prepared with a coat of putty to get once sanded a smooth surface.

Assembly, no fitting problems, great job MM24 !

I only add a piece of thin plastic card in the corners to get a perfect straight body line as I didn't perfectly adjust the part when glueing whereas I did when previously testing fit, noticing I'll have to push a little the resin to the bottom to get side edges matching plastic edges.
The sanded plastic made the trick.

Next steps will open serious work sessions !!

Rebuild of correct S1600 rollcage, dahsboard corrections, and a few other details...

But I must say I enjoy working on this model so far !

Comments welcome
thanks for watching
Phil

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Pugnuts
AF Newbie

Re: WIP: Peugeot 206 S1600 MM24 - Deutschland Rallye

Yes, yes, yeeeessssS. I'm looking forward to this to see what you do. Would you mind if I started a WIP too to go with yours? Although I'm to far along to change anything now. I'm fighting decals that don't fit. Ever heard of that? And can we see some photos of your subject please??
Don
Pugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
Luis Pacheco
AF Regular

Looking forward!!

Great job so far.
Luis Pacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Thanks buddies !

Of course everyone is welcome to make this thread becoming a group or crossed build if you'd like it to be so.
That may be fun for readers, and for builders !

I will start showing some references of the real car in the next updates, but I have to take pic of the original paper pics as I can't scan them anymore (out of order material) and retouch them a bit.

I'm working on the rollcage for the moment, also slightly starting body work...

thanks for watching, comments and suggestions highly welcome.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Today update, with body work starting.

First step was to enlarge front bumper bottom corners air vents.
I add a plastic car part behind to give more strengh to the resin before cutting in.

I also give chassis some plastic card to make a "closed" part for assembly studs (which are just small square resin panel)

I'm realizing my pics are probably to clear and brilliant, I'm not familiar yet to my new computer and screen llight...
(that's why you may notice some "words" or "letters" mistake in my sentences, I didn't lost my English - for what it worses - but the new computer has a different keyboard I'm not yet enough used to to type correctly when I do it too fast, sorry for that I'll try to take care of it)
I think that I should darken a bit the pics to make them more confortable to watch.
Would appreciate to get your feedback on that point too if you think I should retouch the pics.

that's all for the moment, perhaps another update later this evening.

Last edited by rallymaster; 08-28-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
ChillyB
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
I think that I should darken a bit the pics to make them more confortable to watch.
Would appreciate to get your feedback on that point too if you think I should retouch the pics.
I think the pictures are fine just the way they are.
And I love this WIP. I am looking forward to your progress and hope to learn more about the variations of the Peugeot 206.
ChillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyB View Post
I think the pictures are fine just the way they are.
And I love this WIP. I am looking forward to your progress and hope to learn more about the variations of the Peugeot 206.

Thanks for your kind comment and feedback about the pics.

Since I updated the thread I realized by testfitting the body with the Tamiya windows part that I was wrong putting assembly resin studs under rear part of the chassis, it has to be above !!
So I've spent last two hours rebuilding my modifications, making new studs...

I also went on on rollcage, will take pics later and update with today work.

Thanks for watching

Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

new update !

I started working on the rollcage, firstly cleaning tamiya parts.

first assembly tests

I added a front bar to reinforce structure

It wasn't enough, so I even added corners !

I take benefit of time passed on front of the rollcage to make dashboard assmebly easier using plastic card to get a perfect match adges to edges

then I started with new rollcage bars...

till getting that...

and realizing with spare wheel in place that I wouldn't be able to correctly put the diagonal bar !!

So I remade it once again, pushing cross bars to the inside of the car, even if it may be a bit less accurate (what is not sure anyway with pics I have, it's hard to say precisely where the bottom of the rollcage ends, 5cm more or less to the front or the rear)...

At the moment I'm writing these lines the new rollcage is complete and glue is drying...
Will take news pics when I'll be able to touch and move it without risking to brake it.

It's not yet 100% as I would like it to be to perfectly fit the spare wheel but it will be better and if cheating a bit on its position it will take place in boot !

Next upadte will show some of the body work I'll leading in the same time while letting glue drying on each step of the rollcage rebuild...

Thanks for watching, comments welcome !

Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Here is today update, completing yerterday one.

As you can see on this reference pic from 2001 car (with blue inside, 2002 has silver inside), the S1600 rollcage is different from the WRC rollcage structure.

After several hours building and rebuilding the rollcage to be able to fit the spare wheel, which isn't 100% fixed, will have to cheat a bit will diagonal bar, here is what I have:

I modified the seats, adding ears to co-driver Gérald Bedon (and not Bendon as written on decals sheet - just noticed that) seat while Cedric Robert used normal tamiya stock seat.

I opened the safety belts holes.

And after several hours spent on inside, I'm back to outside with body work, the main part of the modifications except rollcage.

First simple thing was to drill antena's hole in roof:

I corrected the space between bumper and lights, its corner having to be square and not round.

I had to sculp a new bumper/body panel line on right side because the original one wasn't totally symetrical to left one.

You can also see on last pic that I rebuild the hood air vent edge.
And the big bumper opening top corners too, them having to be rounded.

All those changes are subtle but have to be done to get the most accurate body possible.

that's all for now, this evening I'll probably start with bumpers corrections, as they are too flat and the rear bumper hasn't correct shape.
Update probably tomorrow... if enough to show !

thanks for watching
don't hesitate to comment

Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
DerXL
AF Enthusiast

Great new project from you.

You must really be enjoying this build. I've been away for only a week, and you have already so much progress to show.

You have a great eye for detail as can be seen from all those small (but accurate) improvements you've made.

I'll keep following this one, for sure.

Visit my homepage for WIP's and galleries :
www.axelv.com
DerXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Many thanks Axel, I appreciate your compliments.

I'll try my best on this one, as it's a special memories reminder to me to build a 2002 Deutschland car, this event has been my first WRC rally with my brother and the first time we saw the wineyards stages (opening the rally) after only the two last days of the rally in 2001 european championship event with some WRC teams cars participations.

As a Peugeot fan (plus or minus now shall I confess...) I will try to get the most accurate model possible, which implies a lot of modifications + or - subtles.

This evening I'm still fighting with the roll cage, having rebuilt it for the third time, I wasn't enough satisfied of rollcage and possibility to fit spare wheel.
This time I think it's ok.

I will take a few pics of what I've done (also worked a bit on body) and probably update tomorrow or day after once I'll have more to show than once again rollcage and rollcage and rollcage again...

I used to take advance with build on updates, that's why I had "so much" to show, but now I've used all my advance.

But most important thing is what you said, I really enjoy building this model (but am happy having finished with rollcage !!)

thanks for watching and commenting, there's no much success for this unseen model...

Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Borjacho
AF Regular

Good work.
I'm also working on this model, but as you said, Rally du Var is not interesting at all for me and I will try to convert it to 2006 spanish session.
Lot of your modifications will be useful for me. In fact, I only like comment about roll cage that in all pictures I have the bars around driver and codriver are also round, so it's other point to modify (WRC are square).

But detail about form under headlamps will be useful for me, as any others.

Most dificult thing for me up to now is have a good reference about rear suspension, as I think that parts comming with TK are not enough for a good accuracy.

Waiting for more advances.

P.D. Have you seen that MM24 has just modify the rear wing and you need send an email in order to get it?
Borjacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Hello Borjacho,
thanks for your comments.
I'm pleased if my build can be a good reference for some modifications and usefull for other builders.
You're doing really well yourself pointing the round/square question of roll bars between doors and seats, I was so concentrated on modifying the rear part I even hadn't noticed it !!
Thanks also for the information aboit new rear wing, I haven't been informed by MM24 whereas we've been in contact last week to discuss my feedbacks and get my informations about corrections to be needed for more accuracy.
I will ask them a new one, will avoid me to rebuild mine, I already hesitated to do it but kept on inside and body. Will save time if I can get a proper finished one.

Thanks for following and commenting don't hesitate to share your feeling about my build all along it.

Last edited by rallymaster; 08-30-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Update with yesterday work.

Rollcage V3.0!!
this time it's good enough to fit diagonal bar and spare wheel, which is the next and final step of the rollcage rebuild.

I decided to modify driver seat base to get a seat more straigh as it is in Robert's car (he drives really close and straight to steering wheel).

And finally I made the boot badge, strangely missing since tamiya body coversion...

Next step, finally finish the rollcage and move to the bigger body improvements.

Thanks for watching

Old 08-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Borjacho
AF Regular

Hi again, Phil:

Yesterday I didn't include between other modifications I made in the rollcage the top cross bar (over the heads). In my references from spanish version, there is only one bar at the roof, not two as in the WRC version.

Maybe you have other references...

One doubt I have about the rollcage is about the bar you used from the WRC version that I don't see in my references (all from magazines, so for some areas not so good). I'm talking about this one close to the floor behind the seats. Is there in your references?

Thanks for sharing your work and for your so clear comments.
Borjacho is offline   Reply With Quote