Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Doc Watson
AF Newbie

1/24 Fujimi GT40 Mk I

I'm currently building a 1:1 (yes 1:1) replica GT40 and wanted to see what paint scheme I will be putting on the finished car so decided to model it and paint it as I will build the full size version. I got hold of 2 fujimi kits. The Mk I kit and the 1969 Le Mans winner (just for the BRM wheels).

Also picked up a HRH trans kit and PE sheet for the model. First job was to split the front body into roof, doors, sills and front clip. Then started to correctly build up the mono chassis front first.

The HRM trans kit has some superb detail and I'm waiting to get an air brush before priming the chassis. Im also not to happy with the rear chassis and will be chopping that to look more original.

One of my half finished 1:1 chassis, the original chassis drawing for reference and a few of the build to date.....

I started work on opening the rear of the floor pan, the first picture shows an original chassis to show the opening and detail aft of the bulkhead. Notice the engine mount structure, thats going to be fun to make :-o

I started work on opening the rear of the floor pan, the first picture shows an original chassis to show the opening and detail aft of the bulkhead. Notice the engine mount structure, thats going to be fun to make :-o

I marked out the opening on the floor pan and used the reverse edge my knife to slowly scribe through the plastic. I've had lots of practice doing this with the front of the body (shown earlier), look at the spyder (body part that takes the doors and windscreen) there are some extreamly thin parts there. Note that the models panel lines on the bottom are incorrect and will be filled in later and rescribed.

Nearly there...you need to take you time doing this as any slip scratches the part, which of course I did and have lightly sanded the area to flatten the scratch.

Finally cut through, lightly cleaned the edges and now need to add correct rear engine compartment panels.

I also did a little more work on the front of the chassis and started to build the sides of the front...you can clearly see the remnants of the 'I will paint the chassis with a brush' which looked awful and so was striped off. As I mentioned earlier I dont have an air brush (yet) and the reason is probably because I'm skint from paying for the full sized chassis.....

The full sized car will have a 1972 'Mexican' block which will be stroked from 5 liter to 5.5 litres.Internally balanced with roller lifters and a full set of 48 IDA webers on top. I havent decided on the heads yet.

Here are £2500 worth of webers and also some 'experiments' with tea strainers for air filtration.

The next picture show my original rear clip which was a racing spare from chassis P1041 (and no it wont be that colour on the finished car).

A little more work on the front chassis frame, built one side and trimmed to fit under the front clip (bonnet) then added some more square section and cut away the area for the front wishbones. Still a few pieces to add and those with eagle eyes will notice its not 100% accurate as I'm restricted by the height of the front clip (the side frames at the front should protrude above the line of the sheet as shown in the 3rd photo but had to be cut down).

Further work is required cutting the air cooling ducts for the front brakes. I'm using thin styrene sheet for the sides and was wondering what primer will be ok for the sheet? I will of course try a test piece first but as I've spent all (and I mean all) of my money on the 1:1 I will be using Halfords grey primer for the chassis.

I also have a PE part for the radiator and as there is only a 'grill' moulded on one side of the part so I will use the PE part on the other side.

The next photo is for reference and shows the front radiator, hoses and Kenwood Fan.

Next up is the water bottle and mount (the white bottle just behind the steering rack). I have no idea how I will make this part but do have a good reference point..... ;-)

Finished the front chassis and test fit the radiator. A few small areas to work on and might fill the gaps of the square section styrene, will review that when the first primer coat is applied. I think most of this detail I'm putting in is 'modelling for god' so to speak as you wont see it on the finished model but I will know its there.

Test fitted the lower front wishbones and rears along with the rear uprights, if you do build this kit get the engine upgrade its superb. Also as a test of my camera I zoomed in to see how close I could go.... lots of flash to be removed from those uprights and stronger lighting might help me get closer. In fact it worked so well I now use photos to check my work and flag any areas that need attention. To get an idea of scale, in the last photo the driveshafts on the model are 2mm diameter.

Trial fitting the rear uprights, wheels and engine for the first time.

The above shot clearly shows the lack of upper links from the top of the uprights to the firewall and the pre painted halibrand wheels from the Le Mans kit which I will be using (minus that paint).

Also checked the body gap of the front clip and the windscreen.... I like this next shot, seen many of the real car at this angle.

Took a trip into town and picked up some Tamiya acrylic grey primer so I can sort out the chassis, might be able to start that this weekend. The assembly is going to be interesting as lots of parts need to come together at the same time, I also started planning the chassis work required in the engine compartment thats the next job....(although every time I say that I end up doing something else)

Phew hows that for a post.....

Andy

Last edited by Doc Watson; 02-14-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Doc Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Thumbs up Re: 1/24 Fujimi GT40 Mk I

Welcome to the forum Andy ! Glad to see and read u also here.

The model looks great,will follow u in the wip.

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
denilsonvm
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/24 Fujimi GT40 Mk I

Incredible! I really like the details.
denilsonvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
torinobradley
AF Newbie

This is one of my queued projects so I will be paying close attention. It looks to be off to a great start and I would have to say, you got a great reference source! Are you doing a simular thread for your 1:1 kit?
torinobradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
dieteufel
AF Enthusiast

Hi Andy!

Cool details!!!
I do the same kit last year with the KA models transkit.
Look here

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum...8&hilight=gt40

Greetings Sascha
dieteufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Let me get this clear....? You´re building a very well detailed model to build a 1:1 replica - mainly to see how the paint works? Fantastic. It´s that simple.

Robert
Ferrari 250 GTO LM 1962 (chassis #3387)
godfather23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
dozman
AF Newbie

I'm with you Robert....... But I'll be watching!!

Which car do you spend the most time on Doc? No need to ask about which is the most expensive.......
dozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Welcome back to the 'small build of the big build' club, Doc!

Looking very nice so far - shall be keeping an eye on this one.

Did you ever fly that amazing X35-B project of yours?
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

This is the WIP to end all WIPs

Great work in both scales and I am looking forward to seeing more

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
914joe
AF Regular

Nice!!! That 1:1 chassis is some sweet eye candy... Those big webers are giving me wood too. Great styrene work on the minature also.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Doc Watson
AF Newbie

A little work on the engine bay.... a ways to go yet.....

Andy

Last edited by Doc Watson; 01-05-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
mugenhb
AF Regular

looking very good Andy, its inspiring to see.

Steve
Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
dlphnfn
AF Regular

Outstanding scratch work here! I love it! I'm also keeping my eyes peeled as this is a future project of mine...
Also, if you're interested, LeMans Miniatures makes a wheel/tire set that are wider and considered "better" for the 68/69 LeMans GT40's. I have a set and they are beautiful. Multi piece too for that off color center section.
Erick --
Old 02-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
Doc Watson
AF Newbie

More trial fitting of rear suspension. Rear chassis still has a few more pieces to be fitted including the upper rear suspension link. The 4 links will be made using copper tube 1mm OD. I'm also going to cut open the rear chassis hoop to allow me to put the engine in.

Andy
Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Now that is gonna be cool to watch. In terms of reference it almost can't get better :-)
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports