Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
joemcco
AF Newbie

Unhappy Mystery ORings 92 F350 HELP!!

So I thought I would give an engine swap a try and now I'm left with 2 Metal O Rings that I cannot seem to figure out what they belong to, I used baggies for all parts and labeled them accordingly but I had other people stopping by and giving a hand so something may have not been missed. These are metal and I have included a picture any direction would be great! Note I have looked through the alldata intel and cannot find reference to these.
Here is a link to the pictures
http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/ae212/joemcco/
Again, thank you
I forgot to mention this is a 1992 F350 460 CID A/T
All Stock
joemcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Mystery ORings HELP!!

Someday you will beable to use Identity software & Google!
Becareful posting pic's on Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
joemcco
AF Newbie

Did i post somthing other than the pictures of the O Ring's ?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
RahX
AF Enthusiast

I dunno what that one post is about lol. I can't say i've seen anything like those. Could they be some sort of dowel? They look big enough around but not necessarily thick enough :\ Is the engine together and running?
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
joemcco
AF Newbie

I thought I had put some "mystery Pics" up the way the first post was worded LOL! anyway No I have it's not yet still have to install the Radiator, engine wiring jarness ect, like most I don't know that I want to slap the rest together before trying to figure what the heck these are need it to be dependable while pulling beast's in the trailer woooo, and honestly this is my first 460 swap......I did notice in one of the rings is some black RTV with thread lines "as is a bolt had been through it" the only places on the engine that black rtv was used was on the harmonic balancer and the oil pan all other areas had blue (if memory serves) . I looked at exploded views of the Oil Pan assy and the Crank/Balancer but neither has any ref to the rings.

Stumped I B
Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
RahX
AF Enthusiast

I wonder if they were some sort of spacer for the intake or exhaust bolts? That looks like it might be something to keep you from OVER tightening a commonly untorqued bolt.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
joemcco
AF Newbie

Great minds think alike, you and I are on the same thought page.... I was thinking that they might belong to the oil pan maybe the to inner most bolts "on either side of the crank area" I so hope thats not the case I have deceided to pull the water pump off again to make sure that they dont belong between the backing plate and the block OR between the backing plate and the pump. talk about grasping at straws....
Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
dfordski
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcco View Post
Great minds think alike, you and I are on the same thought page.... I was thinking that they might belong to the oil pan maybe the to inner most bolts "on either side of the crank area" I so hope thats not the case I have deceided to pull the water pump off again to make sure that they dont belong between the backing plate and the block OR between the backing plate and the pump. talk about grasping at straws....
Put em on a chain & wear them around your neck. And someday,when you least expect it, someone will say," What are you doing with those...... Thermal offset balancer coupler spacer thingies" (something that sounds important!)? I hope you didn't leave those out of an engine swap project, your lucky to be alive!" It would be nice to know what they go to though, I've been watching this thread to see if someone knew. Maybe the guy packing the parts didn't know either & thew them in to be safe. I'll guess it's for mounting something off the block rather than flush against it on a bolt. But what do I know, I just found out I've been wearing an o2 sensor around my neck for the last 2 months!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Use pictures to search the WEB ''Google''
Spacers to hold gaskets in place during engine assemble!
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
dfordski
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
Use pictures to search the WEB ''Google''
Spacers to hold gaskets in place during engine assemble!
Damn, well done sir! What was your search phrase?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
joemcco
AF Newbie

LOL serious, forget Gold chains i'm going mystery autoparts from no on I have no idea but I finally said f##k it and put it all back together and started right up full oil pressure, normal temp and no leaks I did this at 1500 RPM for 20 Minutes or so and all is fine.

I had sent alone the pictures to a friend who deals with mid size ford engines "302/351's" and the occasional big blocks and he had no idea eaither. The only thing he came up with was that maybe some one who had worked on it in the past put those on for some odd reason. I did pul the water pump again to make sure they did not go between the plate and the pump or block and plate but they did not belong there either >>>> my only other thought is that they go between the timing cover and the block but I didn't want to take that of either or a a spacer between the fuel injectors and the intake, but that would mean that I should have 8 and i only have 2!

I gues it's going to take driving it for awhile and see if somehting gives way

Talk about being insecure at the stop light or in traffic.....
Old 01-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Maybe one of your buddies dropped em in with the other parts just to screw with ya
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 AM   #13
joemcco
AF Newbie

I did try the web search a couple of time but after I think I counted up to 400 or pages of images between google and bing I gave up, but that is how I discovered a part that must have launched itself out earlier in the project. Good suggestion on the goolge idea.

By the way the part i did find was the high pressure cutoff from withing the power steering pump. Hmm maybe these rings belong to the pump????
Old 07-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #14
joemcco
AF Newbie

So I just ran across this posting made 10 years ago.....I thought I would give an update on the mystery O-Rings.....I never figured out what they belong to. 10 years and 50k on the engine and not one issue from it other than the normal battery/tune-ups. I doubt anyone will see or reply, this is more of a chuckle for me at my myself.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
Rasp
AF Regular

I think the necklace idea would have gotten you some answers.
Rasp is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1992 , 350 , 460
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series