Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > Technical Corner > Technical Articles
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 04:05 AM   #1
AutomotiveArticles

3M Protective Film Clear Bra Test

SUMMARY: <p>With all the talk of paint protection, and with so many great products out there, not as many car nuts have ever seen or heard of the "clear bra" or protective film. However, there are plenty of articles out there talking about it, and how to install it.&nbsp;Now the reader can see first hand what the fuss is about. In this article we look at the 3M Protective Film for the automotive industry. We talk about how to care for it, options to install it, and how durable it is. Plenty of pictures and videos, and off course we test durabilty by shooting it with an air pistol to see if it shreds by being hit at 260+ MPH by a pellet.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Dezoris - M.Sanew Hondavision.com</p>

View full article

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.
AutomotiveArticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Very interesting product. I never seen it before. The photos were quite impressive. Very good write up.

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
Dezoris
Mod for life

Send a message via AIM to Dezoris
Re: 3M Protective Film Clear Bra Test

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
PaulyHolley
AF Newbie

3m Protective Coat

Great idea for cars . But what about the heavy machinery industry? I work with mobile cranes, crawler cranes, transports and this product would be cost effective for our company . The lost earning potential for hours out work due to repainting alone is immense . If this product could be utilized with new equipment purchases it would be a substantial time saver . Our equipment is bought always new and at high prices . Our cheapest crane is $475 000 and our highest at the $6 000 000 area . Amazing engineering with a inadequate paint scheme . Not forgetting the atmosphere in which they opperate mining , mills , factories , chemical plants , nuclear generating plants steel mills , coal burning plants and lime unloading . The nastiest stuff available is coating our equipment . If anyone has info on products don't hesitate to send info .I'll be chasing down 3m it may be worth their while .
PaulyHolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
Dezoris
Mod for life

Send a message via AIM to Dezoris
Re: 3m Protective Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyHolley
Great idea for cars . But what about the heavy machinery industry? I work with mobile cranes, crawler cranes, transports and this product would be cost effective for our company . The lost earning potential for hours out work due to repainting alone is immense . If this product could be utilized with new equipment purchases it would be a substantial time saver . Our equipment is bought always new and at high prices . Our cheapest crane is $475 000 and our highest at the $6 000 000 area . Amazing engineering with a inadequate paint scheme . Not forgetting the atmosphere in which they opperate mining , mills , factories , chemical plants , nuclear generating plants steel mills , coal burning plants and lime unloading . The nastiest stuff available is coating our equipment . If anyone has info on products don't hesitate to send info .I'll be chasing down 3m it may be worth their while .
I think the problem for you won't be protection, they have a much thicker application, but depending on the area you need to cover, application and cost of the film may exceed the price of standard resprays. I don't know, in your case sounds like severe duty, if you if you get any further info from 3M let me know.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
jtgh
AF Newbie

Re: 3M Protective Film Clear Bra Test

the question no one asks is:
I get hit on the nose with a 2x4 wood chuck or a recap.
now its damaged (film and metal). expected.
how do I get the film off and not incure huge repainting costs due to this film.
?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > Technical Corner > Technical Articles