Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 06:55 PM   #1
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Exclamation

Post your comments, suggestions, experience on the shackle install. Pictures welcome!
(If you don't know what this is about visit www.xterra4x4.com under Mods)
Old 03-22-2001, 07:51 AM   #2
gothamist
AF Regular

Thumbs up My experience w/ the SLR shackles

The install went very smoothly all things considered. This is a picture of the shackles installed on my truck.

The shackles also definitely upped my wheel travel a bit--this is me on a 30 degree ramp.

I thought these tires would also help me clear my Super Swampers (32x11.50 SSR's, they're 32.5" tall) better, but they don't really--I still rub the fuel line cover on the passenger side whenever I stuff that wheel. Oh well, apart from the annoyance the rubbing doesn't actually limit my articulation (the side lugs brush on the cover on their way past it), but eventually I plan on replacing my stock leaf springs with a set from National Springs anyway (and I'll just make sure they arch more to get me even higher.)
Old 04-18-2001, 10:57 PM   #3
Aquamander
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aquamander Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamander
I ordered my shackles on Monday, hopefully they will be here tommorrow.
Aquamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 02:14 AM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Update on the shackle install

After doing Charles' shackles again I have found that you don't need to remove the tire (although it does help with rear access).

If you get a buddy to come by all you need is two of the scissor jacks.

Jack up the rear tire until it is just off the ground. Then use the other jack inside the leaf (as per the how-to) to push the leaf down for easy removal of the bolt.

That's it. Much faster than we previously thought.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:34 AM   #5
Aquamander
AF Regular

Thanks for the tip Schlud. That info will come in handy for my install.
BTW, I had heard that SLR revised the older shackles with a newer design that takes out the extra space between the shackle and leaf and/or the hangar. Is there any validity to this? I didn't hear of this until after I had ordered them. I was just planning on turning some bushings out of some stainless bar stock I had laying around the shop, or perhaps finding some urathane bushings that I could have made work. I don't know, taking a look at Goth's pic it looks like there is no space there.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:03 PM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquamander
Thanks for the tip Schlud. That info will come in handy for my install.
BTW, I had heard that SLR revised the older shackles with a newer design that takes out the extra space between the shackle and leaf and/or the hangar. Is there any validity to this? I didn't hear of this until after I had ordered them. I was just planning on turning some bushings out of some stainless bar stock I had laying around the shop, or perhaps finding some urathane bushings that I could have made work. I don't know, taking a look at Goth's pic it looks like there is no space there.
I don't have the space problem. Chuck did, and we tried to put washers in his shackles last night. The problem was the washers he got weren't large enough to clear the metal sleeve that SLR provides.

So whatever solution you use to close the space, make sure the inside hole is large enough to go around the sleeve as that metal is already touching (or close) to the shackles.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:48 PM   #7
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Re: My experience w/ the SLR shackles

Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist

I thought these tires would also help me clear my Super Swampers (32x11.50 SSR's, they're 32.5" tall) better, but they don't really
Uh ... you mean "shackles", not "tires", right?

:smoker2:

Happy 4/20, you've obviously been smoking today.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 07:03 AM   #8
Aquamander
AF Regular

Re: Update on the shackle install

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
After doing Charles' shackles again I have found that you don't need to remove the tire (although it does help with rear access).

If you get a buddy to come by all you need is two of the scissor jacks.

Jack up the rear tire until it is just off the ground. Then use the other jack inside the leaf (as per the how-to) to push the leaf down for easy removal of the bolt.

That's it. Much faster than we previously thought.

Thanks Schlud, I'm going to have my coffee, then get started. I'll post later to let you know how it went.

BTW, I put those Interco Trxus tires on yesterday, I can't wait to go play.......
Old 04-21-2001, 07:34 AM   #9
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Thumbs up

Take some photos, and post how it goes.

If you get a chance the site and MB could use a short writeup on the Truxus tires. Road noise, traction, on and offroad. Doesn't have to be technical, just your impressions.

I liked my swamper SSR's before, but have a new appreciation for them offroading in the spring mud. I'm going out the door right now for a weekend trip with PNWX. Talk to you when I get back.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:35 PM   #10
Aquamander
AF Regular

Thumbs up Shackle Install and Torsion lift

Installed the shackles in less than an hour. The longest time was spent going to the hardware store to get some shorter bolts for the spring itself. I did have to trim about 1/8" off the inside of the top bushing in order to make the shackle go onto the hangar. (dashed my worries about the spacing issue) The bushing protruded enough to make it impossible to get the shackle on over it. I cleaned the hangar and lightly lubed the bushings to make it eaiser to slip the shackle onto them. Pretty much followed the directions with the exception of using floorjacks to support the frame. I lifted the spring below the axle to relive the tension in order to get the lower bolts in. The lower bolts that I got from SLR were about 1" too long. so I put some shorter ones on. I also put lock washers on all the bolts. ( just in case something freaky happened).

My thanks to Syncro for his enlightenment! I was able to adjust the torsion bars 1-1/4", and get it done in about thirty minutes. I don't really know how other people are figuring the amount to adjust, but I figured out that 10 full revolutions equalled about 1" in adjustment. (no bullbar or skid plates). I decided to adjust the bars with the tires lifted up off the ground to relieve the tension, but I too think that is a preferance instead of a requirement. If the threads on the adjuster are the same on all Xterra's, then this amount should be the same. It's about thread pitch and the distance adjusted. I don't know why but I suppose some torsion bars may be more flexable than others. (guessing) That may account for the difference in this distance adjustment from X to X. Of course, bullbars and skid plates will effect this too. In any case, getting a good measurement is important. I measured the frame just about the point where the bend in the frame goes up to the front suspension. I used one of the drilled holes in the frame there as a reference so I would be measuring the same place on the other side.

Give me a week or so to get a feel for the Interco Trxus tires. I'll be glad to give the board a review on them.

Now that all the works done.....It's time to play!!!

Last edited by Aquamander; 04-22-2001 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2001, 12:31 AM   #11
gothamist
AF Regular

Uh, thanks T...

Thanks for pointing out my typo a month after I posted the message.

Old 04-27-2001, 10:44 AM   #12
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

NO PROBLEM BONEHEAD
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 04:59 PM   #13
Xcalibur
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Xcalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Xcalibur
Question 2" shackles and Bilstein shocks

Is it easy to install the shocks too?
I just got my 2" shackles and new Bilstein's in and I know I can do the Shackle install pretty easy. But I would like to know if I could do the shocks at the same time, b'cuz it seems to me to be easier if I do them both at the same time. Are there any "how to's" on the shock install out there or any special instructions/advice? Or so I need a shop to do it to. I have most common tools and not much heavy duty tools.

Thx, G

'01 Khaki XE-V6 4x4 3-pk auto
with mods
Xcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 05:01 PM   #14
gothamist
AF Regular

Installing rear shocks is like a 10 minute procedure...much easier than the shackle install, which isn't hard, either.

You don't even need to jack the truck up...just climb under it, unbolt and remove one shock, grease the new one's bushings (use poly-safe grease), slide it on and bolt it in place. Repeat on other side.

Enjoy your new toys.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:41 PM   #15
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Link for installing Bilstein Shocks

Here is a link for proper installation of Bilstein shocks.

The part that caught me offguard was that they say to not compress the rubber bushings. I was used to compressing the polyurethane ones.

http://www.eshocks.com/Mounting.asp
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote