View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
bbutchart63
AF Newbie

Re: Help Changing Spark Plugs Please

Today, Sept 15/07, changed the valve cover gasket. Job took approx 2-1/2 hours fiddle fartin around, cleaning took most of the time. Go through the procedure to change the sparkplugs that is on this forum. You will have to remove the coils. If its not necessary to change the sparkplugs,then don't remove them. Then remove the 9 outside bolts on the cover and the inside six bolts. The are all #10 metric. Pry easily with a screwdriver and the cover should lift off. With it off, check for oil around the sparkplugs and use a rag to soak any excess oil around them. I had no problems, its pretty straight forward. I took the baffle plates off the under side of the valve cover and cleaned everything up. Make sure you have a good phillips screwdriver, as some of them are a little sticky to get out. If you have trouble, getting them loosend, try tightening them first, sometimes this cracks their seating and then they will come loose. Might as well clean out the PC valve too while your at it. I use brake wash, availible at your autoparts stores. I didn't use any silicone for the baffle plates, theres enought screws to hold them down. Make sure you seat the gasket into the groove of the valve cover and make sure it doesn't fall out when you place the cover on the motor. The assembly is just the reverse of taking it apart.
Don't tighten down the valve cover too tight. I used a inch-pounds torque wrench, 35-50 inch pounds is enough. Alternate your tightening sequence, don't tighten one side down and then the other, and don't forget the front bolt behind the timing belt cover like I almost did. If you got any mechanical savvy you will not have a problem.
bbutchart63 is offline   Reply With Quote