View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
SteelheadDan
AF Newbie

Just got the heads off, now I have some q's

Hi

This is my first post. It's a pleasure to be part of this forum and community! I'm a new aspiring backyard mechanic with not much experience. I have 3 cars, 2 volvo 740 wagons and my chevy malibu. It's been fun learning how to fix up my cars!

Last weekend I finally got the heads out of my 2002 3.1L Chevy Malibu with 207,000 miles. This car is a beast and has taken me cross country and back more than once. Here are the symptoms as to why Im doing work on this car: My car was overheating, and even without a thermostat, radiator fluid would not pass through the engine and would leak down the left side (opposite the water pump), where the lower intake manifold and heads meet. I diagnosed that I need new intake gaskets.

Since I found out it's not much more work to get to the head gasket, I decide to get a FelPro Headgasket up kit. I got the heads out this weekend, and am getting the heads back from the machine shop tomorrow.

I have some question and some pics to help illustrate them. Any and all comments are welcome and much appreciated

Is there a readiator drain plug on the engine block? I drained the system through the radiator drain plug, but it obviously didn't help much

As you can see, there a whole bunch of orange crud in the different holes and ports. If flakes and solids go into the holes, how do I get it out??? How/should I clean that stuff out?

Here's a closeup of the cloudy orange junk in the block. Is this normal? Should my engine block look like this?

Here's the big question. I broke 3 head to exhaust manifold stud bolts. The machine shop is retapping the holes. I've looked online for replacement bolts but have been unsucsefful. Where can I get more of these bolts? Can I just buy bolts a little shorter than the length of the bolt pictured up to the stuck nuts?

Thanks everyone for the help! If you have a sec please let me know your general impressions of the condition of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2067.jpg (129.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2068.jpg (183.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2069.jpg (187.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2079.JPG (208.3 KB, 25 views)
SteelheadDan is offline   Reply With Quote