View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 12:47 PM   #13
sgraber
AF Newbie

Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddymike2003
how many hours do you think you have put into it? I am planning to build one later this fall.......i have gotten a lot of ideas just by lookin at ur website...i am almost done designing the car how i want it to look, but is there a cheep program to do this on the computer? cuz im havin a little trouble designing the frame....... and how much do you think you would sell the molds for if you did?
You can design your own frame. But you must understand how the forces will be transmitted through the chassis and how to optimize your suspension geometry for the goals you set for the car. IMHO Suspension design is the #1 most difficult part of designing the car. Making a good chassis is actually much more simple. It's a matter of providing attachment for your suspension at the correct locations front and rear, providing room for the passengers, space for the engine and all ancilliary components and then making it stiff enough to allow the suspension to do it's work and not fall apart. There are a number of great books on the subject. I wish I could list them all for you here and now, but I am headed out to a meeting. I'll get back here later with a good reading list.

FYI - I spent a lot of time building models of my frame designs out of Balsa wood sticks and wood glue. It really helps to get a feel for how effective your designs are.

I don't plan on selling the molds, but I will hopefully sell the bodies and either kits or plans for the chassis. I don't have any prior experience in this field, but I would venture to guess that a body kit, (that would be just the fiberglass for the body and mounting the body) will be in the 3-5K range. But don't hold me to that price because I just don't know.

In any case, this will NOT be an expensive car to build. It will be much less than most cars in it's performance bracket.

I'm building the car of my dreams...
La Bala - A Lightweight Sports Car for Street and Track
http://www.grabercars.com/
sgraber is offline   Reply With Quote