View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
enslow
AF Regular

Re: Steering Rack Re and Re (1997 LeSabre)

Rack:
1) Vehicle should already be supported on jack stands on the pinch seam if pump was removed. Lines should be drained.

2) Lock steering wheel in the straight ahead position. From here on, do not use the key to release the steering wheel lock.

3) Push back rubber boot and remove pinch bolt at steering gear.
Attachment 45498
4) Unplug compressor cutout switch. (I believe this is for Magnasteer)
5) Detach outer tie-rod ends from steering knuckle.
6) Loosen front two subframe bolts. You will want to loosen them quite far. If you remove the bolt, then reinsert 4-5 turns, it should be stable, but low enough to allow the back of the cradle to drop 3".
Attachment 45499
7) Place jackstands underneath the frame. Leave about a 1/2" gap between the cradle and jack. Remove the four rear cradle bolts. You will see the cradle drop to the jackstand. It may not drop until you do the otherside.
subframe lowered.jpg
Here's where I was probably more careful than necessary. The sub-frame is quite stiff and will not drop much until the last bolt is removed. Keeping the jack stands within 1/2" below the subframe as I loosened it allowed me to slowly drop the sub-frame safely in small steps. Remember, you are also lowering the engine/exhaust etc at the same time. Make sure no engine components bind with the firewall.

8) Use your hydraulic jack to lift the cradle off the jack stand. Adjust the jackstand underneath the cradle so it can drop another inch. Alternate this procedure until the cradle has dropped 3 inches. If it won't drop, the front bolts haven't been loosened enough, or the other side isn't loose enough. Careful to leave enough threads in the front bolts to hold the front of the cradle on.
9) Don't be alarmed if the mid steering shaft seems to pull down with the rack. It's designed to slide up and down some. Simply push the lower steering shaft upwards until it pops off the rack.
rack lowered.jpg
10) Detach power steering lines from rack. Place drain pan underneath to catch drips. (I'm doing this later. The nuts are frozen so I'll have to use some penetrating fluid.)
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enslow For This Useful Post:
edwinn (08-25-2012)