View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #51
zundapman
AF Newbie

Post Re: Chevy Colorado Issues - check engine?

Sarah:

I take my business to an independent shop called "Advanced Automotive Services" in Ypsilanti, MI. The "code" I'm seeing is P0017 which comes up when the computer senses some kind of problem with the valve timing. The problem does not show up when the truck is on the diagnostic system at the shop and it is running.

The code comes on and appears only when the car has been sitting (cold) and I attempt to start it. Starting is "different" from any previously owned vehicle in that there is a slight "hitch" or delay from the time I switch the key to start and when the engine actually kicks over. Compared to other vehicles I've owned, I'm informed, because of the way the computer controls things, first you make the starting contact with the key, then the computer triggers the starting system. If there is a valid problem with the valve timing, it occurs only immediately when starting up, and no "issues" can be seen when the motor is running and connected to a diagnostic unit. My truck is the so-called "bare bones" work truck with manual 5 speed and a four cylinder engine. Unfortunately I know little of its' maintenance history other than it "sat" for some time because its' owner was deployed overseas and eventually decided to sell it.

On a couple of occasions, starting the truck when the check engine light has been on turned it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post
Good morning,
Is your mechanic one of our GM technicians at a dealership? If so, I'd be happy to follow up on this with you! Please send me a private message with more information.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
zundapman is offline   Reply With Quote