View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Cool HOW TO.....Use Rubbing Compound And Polishing A Body

Thought i'd share this with you all as it seems to get talked about alot on the forums
Now everybody probably has there own ways of doing this, but this is what I do all the time and it works best for me.

Stuff need
Rubbing compound
Wax
Very soft polishing cloth
Cotton wool bud
Toothpick
Very soft brush
Toothbrush
......and plenty of time !!!

Now, as long as the paint is pretty good, you can start giving the body a rub.
The rubbing compound will not take out bad orange peel. If you do have orange peel you will need to sand the body first before carring on.
First thing to do is add a small amount of rubbing compound to the cloth. This much is about all you will need to do the front of the car shown

Use small cicular rubs, slowly getting bigger and bigger so that you have the whole area covered

It's very important to keep changing the cloth so you dont get a big built up of paint. This can cause scratches as you are trying to pull around old paint from the cloth.
Change to a new part of the cloth as soon as there is about this much paint in the cloth. You should only need a very light pressure when rubbing

Keep adding compound if its starting to get to dry. Its important to keep the compound "wet looking"
When you have covered the whole car, wipe it off with a clean cloth and i repeat it all over again.
In hard to reach places, i use the cotton wool bud

After you have done it twice, do it once more for good luck....i always say...3rd time lucky !!
Leave it for 3-4 minutes. This will allow any compound to dry. Then, if any is left in panel lines etc, use the toothpick to very carefully remove it. (It should just flake off like a powder). You can use the toothbrush also for harder bits. If you look hard in the last pick you will see all the powder sitting on the top of the guard

Lastly, give the car a final light brush over to remove all the compound dust.

Next...put some wax onto the cloth, (not to much as) and wax the whole area and wipe clean.
Repeat this again to make sure its all done well.

Hopefully...all going well it should end up like this.

This took me around 30-40 minutes....so allow plenty of time

Hopefully this well help all those question about polishing.
Any comments are welcome

PMan

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote