View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
slb04786
AF Newbie

Re: Replacing the coolant crossover pipe

Yes, I just removed the 2 bolts on the flange. I did'nt need to do any denting of the exhaust pipe. Removing those two bolts allowed me to put my pry bar (crow bar) down between the head and the pipe and move it just enough to loosen the other 2 coolant crossover bolts and lift it up and out with the bolts. It's tight but I had just enough movement to get the job done. Much longer bolts and I wouldn't have been able to. I couldn't even get to the exhaust bolts on the other side of the engine. I couldn't even see if there was a flange down there or not.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer anything else.
Notes:
1) I removed the EGR valve to get room to work on that side of the coolant pipe bolts
2) Once I had the pipe loose I removed the engine mount/stabilizer (my own word) plate to get more room to work on that side.
3) I used a gasket shellac to help hold the gaskets in place during reassembly. I don't know if it is recommended or not. I haven't had any problems with leaks yet. Knock on head.
good luck
Stan

call me if you need immediate response. My cell phone number is on my website http://pcsecureonline.com
slb04786 is offline   Reply With Quote