View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
bigjordan04
AF Newbie

Re: grumpy and lumpy e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris duke
Ive been having a problem with the idle on an e46, where it is running lumpy and fluctuating between 7000 - 8500 rpm.

I have changed the spark plugs but with no result, after reading a few similair threads on the forum I started to tinker with the idle control valve, when i unplug the idle control valve, the rough idle disappears, however the idle sits approx. 9500 - 10500 rpm, i took the car for a run and it is noticeable in the drive that the roughness is gone.

When at junctions or parked, etc., the idle is consistent and the needle is motionless, previously it jumped up and down.......

I had the idle control valve off, but it does not look to be too heavily coked, and all internal parts are moving freely.

What components are linked in with, or "talk" with the idle control valve?

Other than the now high idle, would there be any problems with running the car with the valve disconnected, surely it wouldn't be any worse than leaving it as it was.

Is it as clear cut as needing a new icv or could it be linked to something else??

Cheers

Chris
8500 rpm is quite high for idle. I wasnt even aware that an e46 could rev that high.
bigjordan04 is offline   Reply With Quote