View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
knightjp
AF Regular

Re: Flat / Boxer vs Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemein View Post
Edit: Woops, also wanna slip in and provide an answer for the "why are rotary engine swaps so common" question. The answer is also quite simple; they're small (adaptable to most engine bays), light weight, extremely high revving, produce a unique sound, and have a VERY big aftermarket; and while they are low on torque, they are usually swapped into lightweight japanese cars; which makes it so that the high revs and sufficient torque provide exceptional performance for the application.

You don't see boxer engines being swapped often because maintaining them is a bitch. Sure, they're also small and produce quite a bit of power; but just to simply change the oil of one requires the whole engine be taken out. Working on a boxer is a pain.
Seriously?? For boxer engines, you need to take the engine out just to change the oil?? I find that hard to believe.

If Rotaries are so popular in terms of applications in Japanese sports cars, and are easier to work on than Boxers, why are there no votes in the above poll..?

I love the rotary engines... Would have liked it if they made more low end torque...
But I'm not totally convinced that the boxer engine is a complete dog either..