Thread: What's a Yugo?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2003, 09:00 PM   #33
Sean
AF Enthusiast

Re: More on Bricklin.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2strokebloke
I've been wanting to talk to Bricklin for years now, last year I got lucky and got into contact with Harvey Lamm, who took over SoA when Bricklin left in 1971. So here's the story.
Bricklin sold a couple thousand Lambretta motorscooters, that suposedly nobody wanted. When those were gone he turned his attention to importing the Fuji Rabbit scooter. In 1968, production of the rabbit was terminated, so Bricklin went to Japan to attempt to convince Fuji Heavy Industries to resume production. Instead he was offered a chance to become the sole importer and distributor of Subaru's automobiles. The agreement was to buy 10,000 subaru 360 cars, which he did. In all just about 12,000 subaru 360s would be imported. He began to import the FF-1 in late 1969, after Consumer Reports' "journalism" did the 360 in.
In 1971 he left SoA but remained a stockholder.
I also talked to the man who owned the docks where 360s were unloaded from ships and stored, it was the same place where Volvos fo the western U.S. were stored, so a good friend Bob Sinclair was also able to provide some information too.
I still hope to be able to talk Bricklin, Harvey wasn't thrilled to be talking about the 360, and left many questions unanswered because he didn't know all what Bricklin had done before he became CEO.
I'v been trying to think of something clever to say for the past five minutes about people studing car history, economy car history in perticular, but I give up.