View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Karnage219
AF Newbie

1997 Chevy Malibu misfire issue

This is my first post so I apologize if it is in the wrong section.

I have a 97 Chevy Malibu V6 3.1L with 92k miles on it, a couple weeks ago i started getting a misfire issue. The car would start to misfire when under heavy load such as accelerating up a hill. The local auto parts store diagnosed it with code P0302(cylinder #2 misfire). I started by replacing all of my spark plugs(ACDelco Platnum) and wires. This seemed to fix the issue for a day or so, after that the misfire worsened. I would misfire at random times and when under heavy loads. This caused my transmission to keep shifting up and down followed by the all to familiar hot/melted plastic smell of overheated transmission fluid. This continued on for a few days as it got worse. The car than started to misfire heavily all the time. I took the car to another auto store and it pulled up codes for Random/multiple misfire. I then took my car to a mechanic for a full diagnostic, their computer said their was a misfire on cylinder #1, as-well as a bad spark plug wire on #1( He found this by getting shocked while wiggling the wires on the coil pack) and told me to replace the bad wire. I replaced all wires again and the problem remained. i took it back up for re-diagnosis and they then said it was a bad coil pack. I replaced the coil packs and the problem still remains. I am not ready to call it quits and have them fix it yet to to lack of funds for this but having my car in working order is critical for my job. If anybody has any idea or a similar issue please help me ASAP.

Last edited by Karnage219; 06-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Karnage219 is offline   Reply With Quote