View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
dimitricd
AF Newbie

Air suspension problems

I purchased my 2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE in April 2005 with approcimately 45000 miles. I experiensed the first problem with the air suspension system a few months later, at about 51000 miles. It was repaired for about $450.00.
Since that time, I have had repeated problems with the air suspension.
During the warm, summer months, the system would colapse during the night. However, after I drove it about a mile or 2, it would come up. Now, during the cold days, it usually takes about 5 to 6 miles before it comes up.
Last week, (with 64400 iles) traveling on the interstate, the system failed completely (I heard a beap, and the 4 lights started blinking, and within seconds, the vehicle had come down, to the point that I had to have it towed to a service station).
I took it last week to the dealer to diagnose what was wrong with the system and how much it would cost to have it fixed. They quoted me a cost of $4,200.00 to have it repaired, or replace it with springs for a cost of $1,860.00. I got very upset and I called Land Rover North America and tolf them about my problem. They told me that since I had not ewpaired it before at a Land Rover dealer, there was nothing they could do, and what each dealer charges for repaires it is their own decision.
I have decided to go with the Coil Spring Conversion Kit that I can get for under $500.00 and have it installed for between $400-$450.
I wish, enough people would complain to Land Rover North America that they will do something about it. Thanks for the opportunity to give my thoughts on the Range Rover failures. Otherwise it is a GREAT automobile.