View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #53
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

Not long left to do before I can call this build finished!

So I have 99% completed the front end.

The brake calipers were completed and the brake cables were made from braided metal wire wrapped with spiral tubing, this combination is great but it makes the whole thing very stiff and not great for curves etc, so I heated it slightly and bent it to keep the shape. As a result of this stiffness I changed the connector on the caliper to a 45 degree one rather than 90 degree to make the stress on the parts easier.

The electronic box that sits underneath the speedo was pretty heavily modified and very fiddly to work with! in hindsight I should have cut off the front frame section from where the steering tube is so it would have allowed me to work on the speedo and electronics box much easier. Nevertheless I managed to complete it and I am quite happy with how it came out. As for reference pics, I couldnt find very much showing the wiring routing so some logical thinking was used to try to figure out the wiring paths.

The speedo was completed with use of reference pics, the back end was modified a fair bit to what the reference pics showed, on the front end I used epoxy to mimic glass on top of the dials, it came out well but possibly next time I will use more epoxy to give it more of a deeper glass look.

The grips and handle section were heavily modified. On the right hand side the way Tamiya have routed all the wiring is wrong in some parts and simplistic in other parts. I first cut off the throttle cable housing and turned it 90 degrees so that one side is on top of the brake lever and the other side is below the brake lever as shown in my reference pics. I then got rid of the Tamiya brake fluid resevoir connector and made the correct part out of 0.8mm solder wire. On the left hand side I got rid of the kit clutch adjuster and replaced it with turned metal parts, I also added the adjuster lock and changed the push button next to the grip, to a metal turned button. I gave a little varnish to the brake levers on both sides to add some shine as the reference shows that the brake levers are shinier than the rest of the handle controls. I also added lots of PE and bolts to add to the realism.

To finish off the front end I will be painting the middle sections of the blue bolts on the front forks a bright silver rather than the black that they are in the pics.

Really sorry about the dusty pics once again, sometimes I get carried away and only realise once the pics are on the computer that they are full of dust!

Next up will be to attach the gas tank and then just the finishing touches!

Thanks for watching!
imster is offline   Reply With Quote