View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 05:44 PM   #149
Murray B.
AF Regular

Re: Re: Y do people hate hondas so much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
Ok, what does it mean that Toyota has Higher Market Value??? And GM will always be the largest due to sheer size, no company is larger.
There are five measures commonly used to rank companies; sales, profits, assets, market value, and sometimes, the number of employees.

As I understand it the market value of a company is the total of the shares/debentures times their dollar value. An accountant or investment advisor would know more about it than I do.

At one time GM was #1 regardless of the criteria used to rank it. That is no longer true.

Why buy American when the cars are so lousy? Simply, because the banks do not have your money. They invested 90% of it in "blue chip" stocks like GM and IBM. If everyone buys foreign then the companies will collapse and the banks will put up signs saying something like "Closed - never to reopen" just like they did 70 years or so ago.

Everything in North America is interconnected and the real cost of buying foreign is much higher than you think.

P.S. My sweetie has just purchased a Ford Windstar. Guess we have just gotten too old to change our ways.