View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Chootem
AF Newbie

Need help with an s-type

I have a 2001 S-type v-8 4.0... I'm having an issue with a misfire. I have read all the post and chased each possible solution. The misfire is supposedly on 7 and 8 and occasionally 3. i have pulled the coil's and swapped them around 7-8 still won't fire. i have checked continuity from the PCM to each coil. Checked out ok. The other wire is ignition power which I also verified. But won't fire. i took both spark plugs out plugged them into the coil and started the car without them installed just kinda resting there. so i can see the tip of the plug. with engine running sounding like a drag car(two spark plugs pulled) I see no spark at the tip? Also tried this with brand new plugs. and with new coil. Am i doing something wrong? from what i am thinking the problem is the PCM not telling the coil to fire? Any other thoughts. I really don't wanna waste more money on this not too fix it. My wife bought it really cheap thinking her freind would take care of it and fix it. His attempt 3 cam tensioners and 2 new coils and 950 dollars later it is doing the same. So i'm not trying to throw more good money after the wrong thing again. I'm a heavy truck mechanic....don't know very much when it comes to cars and gasoline engines. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.
Chootem is offline   Reply With Quote