View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Re: IVECO Turbostar refurbish

Dismantle a model you liked, and also others liked a lot is never easy.
My decision come after the consideration those old italeri models are very often discontinued and limited editions. Differently from cars is very hard to find theme as bargains online, and their box dimensions make them not cheap to post. Add tho this the 90% of the buyers of those boxes are kit collectors and the remaining 10% is usually ULTRA skilled modellers, specialized in those quite boring assembly. In Italy the turbostar was also the super truck every kid dream about. We had so many on the roads back in time to make it feel fiat was not so far away in production from scania or volvo. Today meet one on the road is very rare, mostly due to pollution limitations, and it makes you nearly smile compare this "super" truck to what are modern real super trucks...

I personally like much more older trucks, the stuff from 50s, 60s and 70s. Hardly 80s have an appeal, surely 90s truck dont have any for me for the massive presence of that fugly plastics that use to fade after some years and /or wrinkle under the hard mediterranean sun, despite owners do miracles to keep theme fresh and clean. I personally hated as much as I can Fiat 90s car and overall production for this reason. asap I could I bought vehicles from other company and quality of the plastic wes indeed better. Icluding the cheapest Ford around. I simply couldnt stand it...

The same for the paints. Fiat started some "micalized" colors as well as some tones of silver that look ugly from the beginning of the production. I still hate all of this, but thanks god nature and the road made its natural selection. TBH I recently been in a local big Iveco truck garage and the modern ones looks much different in quality perception than those older trucks.

Little by little then I separate all the parts of my model. It helped a lot the cristalize of the old glue so was nearly always enough to force a little to feel that CRAKK that means yes, u separate it but maybe u still didnt break the plastic. Thanks god in 1992 Italeri STILL worked with good quality plastic polimhere, different than today puke used in (their) model kits.

here the sprues I mentioned before with the improved turbostar 2 parts I got

So, refurbishing all....why not step into something older and real metal that I like so much?? I was already planning to do a nice Fiat 691T, double steering wheels, the cabing could be converted as I did starting from magirus deutz into fiat 697...great idea !!

BUT...no.
Checking better all those parts I noted the turbostar was seriously too different from the previous 190 serie, despite italeri made it converting their own previous Fiat cowboy 190 box.
Here the roof is specific, as well as doos, lower bumper, rear hatch,dashboard...overall details. No way to make it as a fiat H cabin...also cause I already have spares from another magirus meant for the nice 691T project (but not now really...).
This MUST be ONLY ...another turbostar...

And then lets do it..it must absolutely be the most 90ish I could, concentrating as much as I can on that details I wrote before I hated so much..silver paint, plastics looking crap from the day you buy it, a lot of fake details able to make this look more moder than it was ...so lets do it THAT way

as this nice model maybe, here made very nicely and clean.....

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote