View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
peterboxer
AF Newbie

Error: Check Tail & Brake Lamps

I have a 2008 C300 4MATIC. Recently I am getting an error (see picture) saying "Check Right Tail & Brake Lamps". However, when I turn on the lights and/or step on the brake all lights seem OK. Can some of the experts here help with a few questions?

1. What does it indicate if I get an error but the lights are OK? Is it an early warning, or a false warning?

2. Which side is right? I assume it is my right if I am sitting in the driver's seat facing forward, or is it my right when I am facing the rear of the car (at the front with the hood open and looking at the engine bay?)

3. There seem to be 4 bulbs in the assembly, which I assume are (a) tail light (b) brake light (c) turn signal and (d) reverse lamp. So, would the error indicate I don't need to replace the turn signal and the reverse lamp, only the brake and tail lights?

4. Does the replacement bulb have to be red, or can it be white (in which case the lenses would give the red color)?

5. Can I use an LED replacement, or does it have to be halogen or incandescent? I have read that sometimes LEDs don't work or require a resistor?

6. What are the part numbers for the bulbs (e.g. 1156 or 3157)?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

PS -- I am unable to attach the picture, wonder why?
peterboxer is offline   Reply With Quote