View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Midnight_Fenrir
AF Newbie

Outer CV boot replacement

Alright... well, I went to replace my front struts on my car, after having finally wrestled my locking lugnuts off without the key... Managed to get the huge rusted bolt that holds the strut off, and get it out of the way to put the new one in.

However, I had noticed when I very first got the wheel off, that there was alot of grease arround there, and after getting the strut off, it was obvious that there was a problem with my CV boot. Basically, it's split in half, with a crack that goes all the way arround in one of the valleys... obviously, needs replacement.

Now, I've been poking arround the internet... and everywhere I go talks about removing pretty much the entire axle... which requires several tools I do not have, and involves me possibly ruining some very expensive parts, as I am just breaking into mechanics...

So, is there anything I can do, that doesn't involve removing the entire thing? One of my friends says there's a type of replacement boot that is split down its length, so you just wrap it arround the axle, and there's a special glue you use to seal it shut... I understand that such a thing wouldn't last as long, but I can happily replace that many times, rather than spending a bunch of money to have a mechanic pull it all appart, or to accidently damage something.

Thanks.
Midnight_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote