View Single Post
Old 09-30-2001, 10:53 PM   #5
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by pche059
well then if i change the cam
could the red line be pushed back a little bit later then?
according to my S AFC my engine cuts off about 6800 rpm....that's a bit low for a N/A car.....

and what controls the rev cut of the engine? is it the ecu ...? or some hardware devices?

The solid rocker SR20 will rev to 7850 rpm safely, but that is independent of the cams used. The revs are limited by the hydraulic valve lash asjusters (HVLAs). Over 7850 the HVLAs are not able to keep the rockers in constant contact with the cams and they eventually (quickly) spit out from under the cams. At best this just means having to put it all back together. At worst it could lead to bent valves and buggered cams.

If you have a roller rocker engine, I'm not sure what the limit is. It's probably the same, but I don't know for sure.

The rev limit is controlled by the ECU and is handled by cutting the fuel. It can be rather dramatic in the SR20. The first time I hit it I thought I blew the engine. Last time I hit it was in the SE-R race car. Oops. I totally lost touch with what I was doing. Thank God for the rev limiter.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote