View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: The Cost of Higher CAFE Standards: $3.6 Billion/Year and More Traffic Jams

If all of the additional fuel taxes were used to fund mass transit systems in the area where the taxes were collected, I would be in favor of a tax increase.

I believe the best way to do that would be to have a government mandated tax imposed upon individual cities. If I buy my gas in Cedar Rapids, The money goes to the cities bus system. If I buy my gas in Fairfax, which doesn't have a mass transit system, there should be no additional tax on it. The busses would also have to operate 24 hours a day (but with a decreased number of stops and busses), as many younger people have jobs that start after school and end close to midnight (maybe busses in large cities do operate 24/7, but here they stop around 9, I think).

The families with complex commuting schedules is a very good point. There is really no easy answer for that, because a tax exempt system would need many employees to evaluate whether exemption should be awarded. I think the best answer would be carpooling. It's been around for awhile, and is not perfect, but it helps a lot.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote