View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: weird charging problem....solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrv View Post
In my casI was wondering if the e the symptoms were of an alternator failure-gauge down, turn signals slow etc, and was putting out just over 13V no load, ....
Yeah..turn signal slow = low voltage.
Remember I had a diode failure years ago. IT was still delivering voltage at no load, but would not deliver a lot of amperes.
In my case, there is no feed to the alternator through the ECM, only straight wiring. NOt sure where your 10.5 volt comes from, but the very small wire gauge in my car causes system voltage drop too even with only the blower fan lower speed....
ALso..I have bypassed the ignition switch ..with an accessory switch driving a relay that feeds all the engine utilities usually fed by the ignition switch...; the ignition switch is so hard to reach (low on the steering column) that I just forgot about it. So I have to turn my accessory switch ON then start normally with the ignition key. TUrning the ignition key OFF will not kill the engine...the new switch must be turned OFF too.....weird, but....I can live with it.