View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
LMP
AF Enthusiast

weird charging problem....solved

Was about to boost son's car..engine not running (on both cars...naturally) I had the booster cables connected to my transport battery (neg on engine block, positive on binding post near power brake) then accidentaly , before connecting to the other car, I accidentally touched both ends..for a fraction of a second, resulting with some sparks of course.
ONce properly connected to son's car, transfer when starting his car was a bit shy of what was needed so I started my engine to charge his battery for a few minutes before a new try...and I saw that my voltage needle stayed in a "no charging" position. Stopped engine as it gave no advantage and well, anyway, the other car eventually started, I disconnected all wires and , before key ON, inched the parking brake pedal down just enough to avoid lighting up the DRL, started TS engine and drove back to son's house, (15 minutes) charging needle staying all the way in the no charge zone..., never stopped the engine then turned towards home...and all of a sudden, the needle went up...normal charging voltage....and no recurrence of the weird problem....till now.
.......no fuse, no thermal relay, no nothing....I have no explanation for that.
www.avigex.ca/xport/chargingstarting.jpg