View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Send a message via AIM to ZedEx
Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Ok... So you have this awesome idea.

"Hey I cant afford a TT, so I'll just buy a TT engine and drop it in!"

... Ok you're not the first. You're actually on a long list of members who post this thread almost religously.

Pertaining to this idea:

-The Non-Turbo transmission WILL bolt right up, with minor modification.
-The gears in the Non-Turbo transmission, however, will not accomidate the 300+bhp of the VG30DETT.
-The EFI Harness will have to be replaced, or rewired.
-The ECU will have to be replaced, or retuned.
-The rear end will have to be replaced, the gears are different. Unless you're looking for extremely quick gears, if you're a drag racer, this might be a good idea. If you're looking for top speed, and longer gears, the TT rear differential is where it's at!

(Information from Broke as ****, thanks)

The TT rear end has 3.692 (The R230V differential) gears and the NA has 4.083 (The R200V).

You don't really have to swap the rear ends, the NA is just as stout as TT, just with a different ring gear. Both had VLSDs stock. All you need, I am told, to switch the rears is the differential and the speed sensor off an NA.

As a side note: I've never heard that the NA 5spd trans weren't as good as the TTs but the few NAs, all 5 spds, I've driven did have a sloppier feel to them where as my TTs felt very firm and solid so...I guess I'll check on that. However, there is only one code through out the entire line for the 5spd trans (RS5R30A) but there is two codes for the AT.

RE4R03A for the TT AT
RE4R01A for the NA AT

-The TT Radiator is skinnier to accomidate for the boost piping
-You need the boost piping, intercoolers, exhaust etc etc.

So as you can see... It's not EASY.

Ok, so scenario Number 2... Why not just bolt the Exhaust Manifolds and Turbos on.

Pertaining to this idea:

-VG30DETT's Compression Ratio is 8.5:1, to accomidate for boost, the VG30DE's (Non-Turbo) Compression Ratio is 10.5:1... If you try to boost the VG30DE on stock Twin Turbo Fuel/Timing Map, you're asking for trouble... This CAN be done with customized tuning, AEM EMS, S-AFC, etc. But the VG30DE isn't built to take boost, problems will occur eventually.

... Ok, scenario Number 3... Twin Turbo Front Clip from Japan.

Pertaining to this idea:

-This is most practical for the swap, you have everything you need, and it would be a lot easier than swapping internals, changing mounts, etc.
-It would be cheaper... Unless of course you are VERY mechanically inclined. But for the average bear, the clip would be best.

Prices are as follows (Respectively):

-Twin Turbo JDM Clip 5-Speed : $3,000
-Twin Turbo JDM Clip Automatic : $2,500

So as you can see... It would be MUCH easier to just buy a clip, and swap the entire powertrain in.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so if you have a question about the Twin Turbo swap... Post it here, there enough members on this forum who can answer the question, Broke as **** is a good one to ask.

Here is a good site to refer to.

Twin Turbo Conversion

Also, please look at the write up one of our members (k3smostwanted) did. You can view the link HERE

If you can think of anything to add, just let me know. Or if some of my information is incorrect, just let me know once again.

Thanks for reading.

-Wes
-2000 PY Acura Integra Type-R #686 - WhoRe
-1997 EGP Honda Prelude Type-SH - Daily driver

R.I.P Hypsi87:Andy Filson

Last edited by ZedEx; 12-06-2007 at 11:37 PM.
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote