View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
360spider
AF Moderator

Fujimi 1/24 BMW Z4 GT3 Presentation Version

Starting this project that will be mildly super-detailed (like that’s a thing), but will definitely not go all out. Will be building this one just like on the box – presentation version. I have bunch of these kits, and will likely build some liveried versions in the future, so this will be a trial run for the kit.

I will use a combination of Fujimi-provided and aftermarket photoetch on this one, CF decals, and other extra bits here and there. I bought a HD PE set for this one, but some of the parts are not accurate for the presentation version, so will use what was provided by Fujimi, especially for the front and rear mesh pieces.

Fujimi fret provided in the kit:

Hobby Design set:

Started with the rear mesh, hoped to drill out the mesh piece itself leaving the frame to attach the PE piece to it:

In reality, it turned out too fragile, and I broke it several times while handling, so scrapped this crazy idea. After test fitting the mesh, it appears that it won’t be needed anyway.

Air outlets glued in place and seams filled:

Since I removed the rear mesh, I also removed the pegs where the chassis plate is mounted in the back. I wanted to retain at least two in the front, so had to come up with the solution to keep them and cut the opening for the front mesh as well. Slightly cut the sides:

And removed the front molded piece but left most of the mounting holes there:

Can’t really see it from the front:

Test-fit the mesh – still too tall – need to remove more:

Now looks much better – tucked in nice and flush with the front spoiler:

This is where I am with this one for now.