View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
1fgmtnbyker
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Dodge Ram--P1491 fault code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor44
I had this same problem with my '02 Ram .. Dealer wanted around $300 for a new fan/shroud/labor ... I declined, bout the fan myself, decided to try the fan prior to installing it, the fan didn't work .... Oh also bought a relay as the dealer said I would need as well...replaced the relay and plugged in new fan .. nothing worked .... sure enough, I checked the fuse and bingo.. so it ended up being a .17 fix and a lot of trouble by listening to the stealer ... anyway, I also learned later that in the winter, water can get in the shroud and freeze the fan, locking it up and popping the fuse .... to fix that problem, drill a few hole in the bottom the shroud allowing water to drain and not freeze.. Or carry more fuse's :-)
Did the problem ever come back? What other issues may cause the fuse to blow? I live in Southern Cal so any water freezing in the shroud is unlikely. Since you have a new fan do you think your old fan motor may have caused the blown fuse? I'm having the same problem and my fuse was blown also. I replaced it and now it works but I'm not sure if I trust it. Shouldn't there some reason why a 25amp fuse will blow? Can a fuse blow without a problem? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this corrected before the hot summer months.
1fgmtnbyker is offline   Reply With Quote