View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
ray0427c
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 GMC Rally Possible TC issue?

Well, after checking everything else, I finally tore into the heart of that turbo 400 tranny. I pulled out the forward clutch assembly and noticed a ring about 1/4" wide wore down on the direct clutch driving hub, right about were the last pressure plate would be. everything inside the forward clutch looked good, even the pressure plates. Then, I pulled the direct drive clutch assembly and (holy crap, putting it lightly) the center support guide the direct clutch assembly rides on looks like a sarated blade, seals twisted, the bore in the direct drive clutch had canals in it. This would explain the intense vibration while driving. I happened to notice some parts with white splotches of paint close to the center support area, indicative of junk yard parts, but the center support had none. Now the funny part about this is that the church I bought this van from told me only GM has worked on this van and it was serviced every three months and it was in perfect condition when asked about the service history and what was wrong with it, $2300.00 later on top of the purchase price it was road worthy. I guess you just can't trust anyone these days. Anyway, I opened the direct drive clutch assembly about and found that the wave ring inside was broken into three pieces and the pieces had bunched up together to one side, which I'm sure created a great inbalance. I checked the pieces out pretty close and noticed this was no fresh break and by the looks of the center support guide and bore this has been going on for some time. Yes, the tranny was "rebuilt" and so I was told by the church and certain evidence along the tear down. So, I'm on a mission to find the select parts I need to put this thing back together. I spoke with a guy at a salvage yard yesterday (actually i spoke to a couple of guys there who told me something different each time) and his final words were "if you want the parts you'll have to buy the entire tranny at $350.00", keep in mind this is a u-pull it place, you know were pull what you need and pay for what you need, LOL, I was told by the first couple guys that if I pulled the parts they would make up a price for them, LMFAO. Now I've worked at a couple junkyards and know how the business works and I also know that at a u-pull place a tranny is usually around $130.00 including core. I wanted to write a review on my experience and see what other people had to say. Turns out I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with these people. A lot of reviews said they were told one price for their parts on their way in and after pulling the parts and going to pay for them (you guessed it) the price increased and when they would confront them about the price change they got rude. Well, time to hit the phone and find my parts. Will update later.
ray0427c is offline   Reply With Quote