View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Re: Brake Light On 2003 LX 3.8L Despite Replacing Recalled Speed Deactivation Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDzak View Post
The brake fluid that leaks out of the switch can corrode wiring beneath and inside the wiring loom, including the loom that heads over to the ABS module (the one you should examine).

I replaced the ABS module on ours years ago and meant to write up the procedure, can't recall what sort of warning lights caused me to do this but it fixed it.
When we replaced the SCDS we did so as a preventative measure as there was "ZERO" brake fluid under the master cylinder at all... under or on the wiring etc... nothing. I was able to determine that the switch was indeed the one listed as needing replacement, but again the FORD records stated this van wasn't eligible for the recall and didn't need it.. so I did it out of my own pocket.

I guess I should've inspected the "lower wiring" areas in case there was a leak in the past and the upper wiring area (just under the master cylinder) was completely dry, but when I saw all that dry I didn't feel the need to check it out.

FYI - THE LIGHT THAT IS ON IS THE LIGHT THAT STATES BRAKE WITH THE CRESCENT SHAPED PARENTHESIS LOOKING LINES ABOVE IT. This light is indicated by number 21 in the diagram.
"I drive the newest 1995 Ford Windstar anywhere..... when its not broken."
searcherrr is offline   Reply With Quote