View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Question Brake Light On 2003 LX 3.8L Despite Replacing Recalled Speed Deactivation Switch

I have never been able to get the brake light to turn off in this van and it is going to be used soon for disabled people to travel 330 miles to my wedding. The entire braking system has been looked at (by the shop's eyes) and fluid topped off and calipers bled, hydraulic cylinders replaced when I first got it (last year) and recently the speed control deactivation switch was replaced despite Ford stating that it didn't need to be replaced in this van. I was SURE this would resolve the brake light issue and get cruise control back working again, but it DID NOT.

Also, thinking the FLOAT was stuck in the master cylinder reservoir and not having a way to clean it, I replaced the reservoir with a new one too.... and that also DID NOT resolve it.... although afterwards for the first time ever the brake light now flickers on and off. We are theorizing that the brake fluid in the entire system just needs to be flushed, because we removed (with a turkey baster syringe type thing) fluid from the reservoir so we wouldn't have to bleed the lines afterwards. So when driving (guessing this is happening when GASSING the pedal) sometimes the brake light turns off, although in that short duration cruise control still doesn't work... and eventually the brake light would come back on.

What other issues would cause the brake light to remain on?
What other issues would cause the brake light to turn on and off since after we replaced "some fluid" and the fluid reservoir plastic part?

Here's a little history on the van if you want it:
www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1089742&highlight=brake
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ighlight=brake
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ighlight=brake - Original "thinking about buying thread"
"I drive the newest 1995 Ford Windstar anywhere..... when its not broken."
searcherrr is offline   Reply With Quote