View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
goat_launcher
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: The worst cars ever made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
That was a stupid list. First of all, the Gremlin was way worse than the Pacer, yet I didn't see it on the list.
Secondly, they listed the Trabant (though they didn't name any models!) and like most of the people who are critical of the little East German auto, they can't actually think of anything wrong with it!
Then of course, the Yugo is in the top ranking (a U.S. Yugo isn't even pictured) despite the fact that 80% of Yugo owners were perfectly happy with their car, and reliability wise the Yugo beats many other car makers, such as Volvo, etc.

Well what else would you expect from those who know nothing about cars whatsoever?
Do they even have to list whats wrong with the trabant? Why do I have do this?

1. Trabants body style has basically remained unchanged for well over 20 over years, along with the drivetrain.

2. Because of the mostly plastic body construction, Trabants cannot be properly disposed of in most of the countries that use them (including the former Soviet Union and it Satellite Nation-states, and most of East Germany)

3. Trabants are famous for belching purple-bluish tinted smoke from their crude mostly 2 cycle engines, and are a MAJOR pollution hazard (see above)

4. Their plain fucking ugly!

I agree with the Gremlin statement. Pacer's were actually not that bad. they had extremely good visibility because of the flat beltline (of course, all that glass caused for some serious injuries in crashes)

Gremlins literally rusted in front of their owners and had electrical problems which gave it unique properties, such as the ability to catch on fire during idle...that happened to my mom, and is why we owned 5 generations of Hondas...
In my opinion, they should have listed the Pinto higher. The Pinto's transmission had a tendency to shift from park to reverse when unmanned (especially when parked on an incline) and everyone knows what happens when you rear end a pinto...