View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
-Sk8er6811-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -Sk8er6811- Send a message via MSN to -Sk8er6811-
~*~*~Tutorial: Hinging Doors~*~*~

Well as i was making progress on my civic project (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=242495) I decided about half-way through i would make atutorial on hinging doors. You might have to alter some of the steps for different types of doors. This tutorial is for doors hinged on the mirrors.

1. Cut the doors out with a hobby knife. What i like to do is trace the doors like on the indside of the body and use a dremel with a sanding bit to thin the plastic making it easier for the knife to cut through the plastic. After the doors have been removed place them in a safe place where you won't lose them.

2. Get some piping small enough for a peperclip to fit snugly. Cut it to a length a bit smaller than a 1/4 inch. For this car we are going to hinge the doors by the mirrors. So we are going to attatch the piping by the mirror area on the A-Pillar.

3. Get your paperclip now and bend it to a shape that will give it a flat area to attatch to the door and allow aces to hinge the door you want it to. If you want to do the mirror hinged doors bend it something like this.

4. After you have tested the paperclip and make sure the flat part that will be attatch to the door opens to the area where you want it stop works properly tape the door in place.

5. To attatch the paperclip i like to uyse a mixture of babypowder and krazy glue for a nice strong joint.

6. After it is glued in place and it has set for a couple minutes, you can remove the tape. Be careful in doing so if there is too much stress put on the joint the paperclip will break free. Now test the way the door works. Note: It might need some shaving to open exactly the way you want. On this car i need to cut more of the A-Pillar away.

7.I did not get around to doing this step yet, but you might want to add some styrene and putty it into place so the doors lines arent super wide.

Here is my finished product:

Well I hope this helps some of you guys here on AF. Also maybe this could be added to the How-To section here on AF Don't forget to tell me what you guys think of it!