View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
agracer
AF Newbie

Cool Using Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear

This is in regard to Alclad Aqua Gloss (the -600 water based stuff)

For the TLDNR crowd: anyone use Alclad Aqua Gloss for your clear coats and have success polishing (wet sanding with 1500 or higher + Tamiya Polish)??

A friend said he’d been using this for gloss coats on his airplane kits a liked it a lot more than future or other stuff. Also, being water based it has less/no fumes. I’ve tried on several builds (these were actually airplanes that I clear coated before decals, weathering, etc.). Typically my workflow is Mr. Surfacer Primer, MRP Lacquers, Aqua Clear, Sand/Polish any defects, weathering, decals, final dull coat.

I was building another kit this week and I decided try out AK Interactive’s Real Color line. After airbrushing on the paints and letting them dry for a day, I put 4 coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss and let it dry for 48-hours. Last night I went to do a wet sand with some 1,500 paper and it stripped right down to the plastic is like 5-seconds. I maybe rubbed it back and for the 3-times and suddenly I’m hitting plastic! It was as if the clear and AK Paints were just microns thick and I had nothing to polish….

Could it be the combination of the AK Paints being a acrylic base + the water base of the Aqua Gloss being super sensitive to wet sanding? I swear I used the Aqua Gloss on an F-14 I did last spring and had no issues sanding/polishing the clear prior to weathering and decals.

I’ve found one post on another forum where a someone said the results were terrible trying to micro-mesh the Aqua Gloss.

Thanks
agracer is offline   Reply With Quote