View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #42
chembrad
AF Regular

Re: Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Hey, it's great that there is a scientist here. Thanks for the info. Can you offer any suggestions for an additive that may actually help mileage? Do you have any other mileage-improving suggestions?

Personally, I think the auto manufacturers should be absolutely embarassed at the horrid mileage most vehicles are getting. This is a common topic of debate at many places I hang out. A lot of people (including me) think there must be some sort of collusion going on between the gasoline-producing companies and the auto manufacturers to keep fuel mileage at this abysmal rate.

An automotive engineer would be better to ask. All I can comment on is the physical and chemical properties of the fuel.

But common sense says that in order to increase efficiency, I either have to improve the system or improve the fuel. You can add the Octane Boost stuff (basically just refined diesel) and what you are doing is adding heavier hydrocarbons so basically throwing larger logs on the fire so to speak.

Decreasing the weight of your vehicle will help improve fuel economy and the reverse is true.

There is no "collusion" between oil comps and auto manufacturers. No more than between doctors and pharmaceutical companies keeping us hooked on drugs rather than healing. Hogwash.

Automotive engineers are professionals. They make the best car possible given the limitations. And there are limitations you know.