View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #38
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembrad
Folks, I hate to spoil the party but adding acetone cannot increase the engergy of your fuel.

Gasoline is made up of hundreds of different hydrocarbon compounds from butane all the way up to dimethyl naphthalenes.

Now those of you who were paying attention in CA when the phase 2 gasoline came in, the gas mileage on the cars experienced about a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Why? Because when CARB (California Air Resources Board) changed the rules on the refineries, the product that the refineries sold in CA was a shorter run distillate with decreased concentrations of the larger molecules (more energy).

So adding a low energy compound such as acetone to your tank cannot give your fuel more energy.

What it CAN do is help clean out the crud that accumulates in old engines. So perhaps what you are experiencing is acetone cleaning the engine intake ports and such which would give you better gas mileage. But a well tuned & clean engine will not see an increase in fuel economy with acetone added.

What your saying may be true but i believe that it has definately worked for me whether it cleaned the engine or let more of the gas burn, but if it cleaned up the engine i don't think i would have noticed any results as soon as i did which was about 30 mins.

fishing1000
Do you have any comments on it. thanks