View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 03:40 PM   #152
Big Pat
AF Newbie

FAF2 - return of the street monsters!

Well, I sure hope FAF2 is a better movie than FAF.

Computer generated drag races? Give me a break! How hard is it to film a drag race?

All you guys that have been at drage races know that it is not possible to exchange lead more than once - you get smoked or you smoke the other - unless some misshap happens (blown engine, missed gear, engine "hiccup").

That S2000 is a bit to pink for my taste, but I suppose there is a market for that. Not a big fan of Gold cars either.

And if I may add to the american iron/import efficiency debate, let me paraphrase what I heard from a guy on High Rev Tuners (Speed Channel): "Sure, those import tuned engines are very evolved and technical marvels. Sure, they push out more than 200hp/liter, but the fact is, they have 450hp , and I have 600..." Hard to fault that statement, innit?

BTW, I am a fan of hightech engine, but facts are facts...

Oh and finally, about that:

Quote:
yet, in every other racing venue in the world were horribly inefficient US cars compete head-to-head with others, WE ALWAYS WIN!!!
That is just plain wrong. Ask Don Panoz - his "big cubes" Ford powered LMP900 cars have had their ass handed to them for the third straight year by Audi in ALMS. And up til around 1995, there was a reserve in the Indy 500 rules to allow N/A 454 engine powered car to run - guess what? everybody stuck with their 2.65L turbo engines.

Winston Cup cars use the big iron engines not because they are better, but because they are not allowed to run anything else. They used to have OHC engines in WC - they were banned because it was an "unfair advantage".

During the 80s, Ford Europe ran Cosworth Sierras in Touringf car races - more than 500hp from a 2l Turbo 4 banger. And it ran in 24hrs long events too.

Really, they only place where I think the old style engines are still king of the roost is High end Drag racing.

my .02$ (OK, maybe.05$ )