View Single Post
Old 03-14-2002, 05:28 PM   #25
fritz_269
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ivymike1031
I also had some hearty debates over whether it was more appropriate to look just at the lift event, or to look at a whole cam cycle. Both methods have shown significant components up to, and sometimes beyond, 10th order. My current preference is to look at the lift events alone, w/o the flat parts in between.
If you don't mind, I'd like you to revisit that debate. It seems to me that, a priori, you should consider the entire circular profile. The Fourier transform is based on the idea of an infintely periodic signal. If the signal isn't infinite, you have to use a circular approximation and usually windowing functions to make it appear infinitely periodic (or you could just use finite time-base wavelet transforms).

I was just thinking about how cool it was that you actually wouldn't have to make any of those approximations by forcing periodicity into your calculation, becase it was just natural since the cam is rotating.

Can you give me any intuition as to why you wouldn't want include the base circle in your transform? It's completely non-obvious to me.
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote