View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
grog11
AF Regular

Re: Freestar 2004 Advanced Trac Light On

UPDATED REPAIRED INFORMATION.
After taking the vehicle in and having the $97.50 electronic scan diagnostic fee, along with $90.00 hr. labor rate. The solution was found. A connector under the vehicle had a bad connection, was unplugged,cleaned, reinserted, and problem solved.

I did want to share the information below I found out, to possibly help others that have an electrical issue, save some money and solve a problem!

I spoke with the 27 yr. veteran ford certified mechanic that did the work about why they suggested I replace a wheel sensor. As we talked a while, without the service manager present, I tried to explain my interest in the problem solution, or reason why, this happened, and what can I do to prevent future problems occuring? His eyes lite up, he stopped,spun around, took me outside, and he said off the record, that this was a simple common problem with the connectors for the ABS, and Advance Trak wiring.There is no dielectric grease on these connectors, and the issue is that water runs down the wiring into the back wire inserted side of the connectors and into the terminals causing the problem with the connections.The dealers and most mechanics there do not clean terminals, and just replace the modules on ABS, PCM, Transmission Range Sensors,transmission harness connections, etc. If the diagnostic machine points to the module as bad it just gets replaced. Dealerships can not warrant their work on the possibility that a terminal cleaning will last, or liability issues of a cleaned, and not replaced unit module, or connection causing a serious failure of the vehicle, can be a lawyers dream to prosecute a negligence claim on the dealer and mechanic.Simply put, the dealer will not put himself in that position. The cost is passed to the customer for high priced parts replacements, and people complain.( You got to love lawyers when they cost you more repair money in this day and age!!)The used part may actually be good if cleaned properly.

As I listened carefully, He said that if a vehicle owner would take the time to check, terminals, and seal the wire side of connectors with dielectric grease , or silicone, unplug terminals that are suspect that 80% of the electronic failures they see would be solved, with electronic spray cleaner on terminals, then dielectric grease to keep moisture out. The internal terminals build up a coating, reducing signal input/output, before they eventually stop signal flow all together. This made sense to me. A good solid wire is only as good as its weakest point.

One more tip I got , That ABS light that comes on is usually caused by the, ( You Guessed It) the main stability assist and abs terminal connector just in front of the left rear tire that just needs removal, cleaning, and reinsertion back into the module. The water from the tire spray gets up in there.

Always, Always disconnect battery terminal 1st, before any work on wiring!!!!
grog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grog11 For This Useful Post:
Jlador79 (03-13-2013)