View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #49
phoenix_fire180SX
AF Newbie

Re: Re: New 240SX and GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23
You can't put a big single turbo (well you can, but it's fucking hard) on a V6, it's easy on a I6.
A twin turbo setup is almost always more efficient than a single turbo setup, that's why the the top engine for the R32-R34 Skyline (like the ones from both Fast and the Furious movies) is a twin turbo I6.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Who cares whats faster. H patterns are much more fun to drive and much less expensive.
That's what I've been trying to say!!!
If you read what I said earlier, I mostly agree with you. "More fun" is a matter of pure opinion that can't be argued, but I already said that they would be cheaper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_fire180SX
A normal stick shift would be nice to reduce costs though, then the sequential gear box could be a performance option.
Quote:
Manual means you do it yourself, automatic means it's done for you, in a standard tranny you do everything yourself, in any other tranny, it's done for you, by the computer, it's not manual, it's automatic.
About the transmissions, if your trying to say that a sequential gear box is not a manual transmission, I'm sorry, but your incorrect. Manual transmission means that the driver controls when the transmission shifts and what gear it shifts into. That makes a stick shift and a paddle-shift both a manual transmission.

Plus you don't seem to know that their is more difference between a manual transmission and an automatic than just if the driver has control over the shifting. A true manual transmission is lighter and transfers more power to the wheels because they transfer power from the engine more efficiently. I won't go into too much detail, but an automatic uses a different planetary-gear based system that weighs more and transfers power less efficiently from the engine because it uses a torque converter which uses hydraulic fluid. So the definition of a manual transmission and an automatic transmission is more than just how much control the driver has over gear shifting, they are fundamentally different designs.

Manual transmissions are, without a doubt, superior for performance, so I'll agree with you that an automatic Skyline GT-R would be horrible, but you shouldn't call a sequential gear box transmission an automatic; it's much more like a stick shift manual transmission then an automatic like most everyone's grandma drives.
phoenix_fire180SX is offline   Reply With Quote