View Single Post
Old 08-20-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
b-b00gie
Banned

Send a message via AIM to b-b00gie
2000+ Hotshot CAI...

Finally installed the thing after having it sitting around for a week..

Must say I wasnt too happy with a few things.

First off I thought the whole point that the 99 and 2000+ had different part numbers was because HotShot knew that the 2000+ had a bigger MAF? (3").

Second, I bought a $135 Optima battery for no reason.

The kit came with the following:

Intake piping (3")
Cold air extension (3")
MAF adapter (3")
Cone Filter
2.75" to 3" coupler (to fit intake to throttle body)
2.75" to 3" coupler (to fit intake to MAF??? WRONG!!!)
3" to 3" coupler (to fit MAF adapter to cold air extension)

There is absolutely no way that the 2.75" coupler end can fit on the 2000+ MAF's. I ended up using the 3" to 3" coupler there (and even getting the 3" coupler onto the MAF required lots of struggle and about 15 minutes of heavy sweating!!)

The thing that saved me was the fact that I purchased a 3" AEM by pass valve. I attached one end to my MAF adapter plate and the other end to the cold air extension. This let me get away with having to use the 3" to 3" coupler on the OTHER side of the MAF. I cut off about an inch of the cold air extension to compensate for the added length of fitting the BPV in there.

I ended up not needing to use a smaller battery. I enlarged the hole for the stock resonater box which is what the instructions suggested. After installing the cold air extension and putting the filter on, the wheel well splash guard rests up against the filter. There is actually a slight bulge in the guard but barely, and does not rub on the tire at all.. if I really wanted to, I could correct this by installing a Neuspeed "P-Flow" filter.

I didnt get to take pictures, but I will go back and walk through the install and snap some soon.

I guess I should do the public some service and let HS know about the coupler/MAF issue, although they'll probably look at me funny and tell me that they've sold "X" amount of these kits and never heard of a problem.

Also dont know why they claim you need a new battery? Even if you made the hole in a little different spot than me (not that you really could because there's limited space and you are enlarging the stock hole so I couldnt have been off by that much) you could skip getting a smaller battery and just drill 3 new holes in your battery tray to shift it over a bit (there's some decent room).

If you're planning on getting the kit skip the battery and get an AEM by pass valve and a drill bit to move the tray if you really want more room.

Last edited by b-b00gie; 08-20-2001 at 11:55 AM.
b-b00gie is offline   Reply With Quote