View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #20
Want2Bhappy
AF Newbie

Smile Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHappy
"I wonder how many other Rover owners are out there scratching their heads over the same issue and dreading important occasions when they need to drive..."

And I wonder how many different explanations garages can come up with once the 75 has been on "the computer". My experience (same problem but different "diagnosis") is that one can't be sure that one isn't being fed a line, especially now that Rover has all but died.

In my case, I asked if it could possibly be anything else other than "the control box" to the starter motor which is what they said "the computer" diagnosed. The man said the computer diagnosis would be correct,
although he didn't show me anything to prove it! What can one say?? All the messages here about this problem talk about faults that have not been mentioned by my garage, although the symptoms are exactly the same as those described here! I also asked him if it could be anything to do with the gears/gearbox and he said no it wouldn't be, and that it was probably just a coincidence that it started after I had moved through the gears (it is automatic by the way). We have had a problem recently with the fuel guage warning light coming on/ needle on empty even with a full tank, but that seemed to be the hot weather. The non starting problem has been getting worse over time. The garage charged me for a new battery last week, and the next day it didn't start for 10 mins as usual. When it went in for testing by "the computer", they still didn't have an explanation 24 hrs later. Then they called with this diagnoses of "the control box" having an electrical short and that this had probably damaged the starter motor saying that both would have to be replaced! How can one know for sure what "the computer" diagnoses if they don't give you a copy of the printout? We are put in the position of being prime mugs as we have to trust them. Said they would have to replace my "control box" (described as the car's "brain" - do they treat all women this way!??) AND my starter motor. I won't say how much that would cost as I suspect folk might faint with shock given what we have seen above in terms of other diagnoses and solutions. I took the car back, but was still charged £100 for the diagnosis, so altogether £170 including the replaced battery.
I am in London and have been told of 4 garages who still have a Rover franchise, I took it to one of them because I thought they would be the most reliable. Does anyone take their 75 to a reliable mechanic? if so can you tell me where they are located?
I am really hoping that this will solve my problem, which seems to be the same as everyone elses. I have just ordered a new sensor off the internet which will hopefully get to me by thursday. Will definately be big smiles all round if it works.
Want2Bhappy is offline   Reply With Quote