Thread: Stalls
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 06:52 AM   #6
sojourner
AF Newbie

If the car is starting hard, multiple things like they used a metal gasket for the intake and exhaust manifold connection where it bolts to the engine, my friends car just was a hard starter, in desperation replaced this metal gasket, could see where it was leaking on the gasket after it was replaced with a non metalic gasket, its started well ever since, etc... Found several other problems on her car, needed the charcoal canister replaced, which had plugged the purge control valve, that has a vent line that goes to the carburator, rather than replace the purge control valve, just made a simple filter assembly and disconnected the the vacuum line from the purge control valve to the carb and the car used to have an hesitation problem, it has not hesitated since pulling off the vacuum line from the purge control valve to the carb, configured some plastic fittings so it was only drawing filtered air, and connected this all to the purge valve so it was still interconnected, though the line to the carb was always drawing air through the filter or any air from the purge valve which was plugged, I was meaning to replace the purge control valve from the junk yard, kind of expensive, at the dealer, but the car has been running great, no hesitation, it used to cut out on corners, etc...I had to replace the hall sensor, and the fuel sensor, think I replaced all those relays that cause all the different kinds of problems with the horizon, the voltage regulator was fried too, but its running great, my friend just loves the car, its just one of those cars you tend to have a love hate relationship with, etc...

P.S. I had charcoal in my carburator, requiring me to clean up the carburator, if it got sucked into the carb, if your charcoal canister burst, you would probably see black charcoal in the float needle valve, but if the car runs without problems by lifting the vaccum line from the purge control valve, it might make the car not to hesitate, though its not too hard to clean the carburator, auto zone has carb kits, just blow out all the vent lines, when your done, etc...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote