View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Monogram Porsche 924

I've been beavering away at this little curbside kit for quite a while now, trying my best to de-federalise it for my UK shores.

Kit isn't all that great.
My body came covered in a strange glossy film that resembles the stuff found under chromed parts that was a bitch to remove. The body was and still is slightly twisted/warped and as others have mentioned, the rear glass hatch doesn't fit properly; nor is there proper location for it. Then there are the horribly small wheels though I suspect that might actually be accurate for the original car.

Still, it is one of the very few 924 kits out there and the general proportions and shape are pretty spot on if a little soft.

So what did I do to it?
Not a lot.
Front bumper was removed and re-set back and the same was done for the rear. Front bumper had US impacts removed and voids fill in. UK/Euro lights is a simple bodge job of putty with a little texture applied to it then foiled and clear painted. Black trim is black decal paper though I think I was a little heavy handed with it.
That's about it.
The sharp body swage line was re-sharpened using tamiya surface putty to add material then block sanded.

And I lost the star shaped fuel filler cap.

Body is painted with Hycote Double Acrylic (Concerntrated Paint) Ford Graphite Grey (Met).
Protection strip down the sides was masked and painted Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black.
Wheels were stripped of their chrome and given a coat of Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminium.
Other Chrome trim was stripped and sprayed with Plasti-Kote Chrome Enamal Spray.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote