View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
harryhk
AF Newbie

Re: Can I just use primered finished fender?

Thank you so much for the reply. I will paint it when I confirm that it fits. The winter in NY is terrible.

I am kind of new to the paint but I want to do it by myself. What's the normal procedure? Is using a spray paint enough?

Also, I have some lost paint on my hood. I want to paint it too. The area is about 20% of the hood. I didn't see the rust but I could see the primer paint on those rust area. Could you give me some advice in doing that? Should I use a sand paper to take all the color paint layer off and leave only the primer layer and paint? Or could I directly paint on the hood?

Thank you very much,
I really appreciate your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSpoon View Post
You can, but it's not a good idea. That coating is pretty thin. If you drive the car in the winter, it will be rusted by next spring. I'm unfortunately aware of how much salt NY likes to use on the roads. The coating protects them while they sit in a warehouse, to be shipped out, and during shipping. But rain, sun, dirt, grime, and road salt, will destroy that coating, or at least bypass that coating.

So you can get away with it, but depending on how long you drive with it like that, you'll either damage them or you'll just make more work for the painter, when you do get them painted.
harryhk is offline   Reply With Quote