View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by DSM-Mark
Why is there no off-topic discussion permitted when it spawns off of a regular model-based thread? It only brings the community a little bit closer and lets people know they can talk to people about something, even if it goes a little off topic.

I understand that it is desirable to make the forum a place for people to find modelling tips, tricks, ideas, and otherwise, but it makes for a very boring place to visit. It has a library feel. You come in, you find the info you need, and you leave. The community feel is quite lost.
The Car Modeling forum exists as a sub-forum of AF. It is a forum created for AF members to discuss their scale models. All members that use this forum are AF members, not AF Car Modeling members, regardless of whether they use the rest of AF or not. That does not exclude them from the guidelines of posting threads in the most appropriate forum.

You will notice, when threads are moved, a redirect link is left, so it's not like we hide the thread altogether in the depths of AF.

That said, I think you'll find that we allow quite a bit of deviation in many threads, as long as the overall thread topic relates to Car Modeling. In addition, there are certain "official" OT threads (such as "Real Name and Age") and there are posts relating to OT threads in the FAQ.
Quote:
Originally posted by DSM-Mark
Take, for example, the recent thread about 'cool's (zerrocool) letter to Revell regarding a 4th gen Civic. I recognized that his original letter was a little weak, and offered to proofread his future emails to modelling companies. It turned into a flame rather quickly but the fire was put out quickly as well. Out of it all, we gain a little bit of an understanding of people who have English as a second language, and let them know we can help them out if they want it. I don't think it's entirely necessary to delete this kind of thread.
I'm afraid that's a moot point now that the thread seems to be deleted... But I didn't delete it. Don't forget that members can delete their own posts and therefore thread starters can delete their own threads. Unfortunately, I do not know who did delete it.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote