View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Whumbachumba
AF Enthusiast

Air-Cooled GB: '66 Beetle

I figured I would start on this right away since it's probably going to take me a while to finish it. I'm starting with the Tamiya 1966 Beetle 1300.

From there I might go a couple different routes. Right now it is set up for a out-of-box build. However, i am either going to rat it out or swap in a 930 Turbo motor. Luckily that motor is also air cooled and no-one said that the motor had to be factory. So right now I'm building it as if it were OOB but am not going to make any chassis/suspension assembly until I make a decision on how to build it. Luckily my roommate owned a 50's oval window Beetle with a Porsche 1800 motor swapped in so he will be able to help out on a lot of decisions and potential problems.

Now enough with all the text, it's probably boring you anyways and I could be saying pretty much anything and you wouldn't know cause you are just looking at the pretty pictures. Aren't you? Yeah you are, cause I do it too.

The transmission, air boxes, and axles was painted with a mixture that was something like 12 parts Chrome Silver and 2 parts Black. It gives it a really nice used, old look to it. Once the engine is put together I will weather it a little bit to make it look more rustic, maybe some "rust" too.

Haven't decided on a color for the body either. Once again it depends on how I'm going to build it up.