View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: easy access to changing voltage regulator components

Virtually all North American Fords used external regulators in their alternators, from the introduction of the alternator (1964 model year) to the mid-1980's or so.

I suggest get an alternator from a late 1970's Lincoln. They had high capacity, wrapped in a durable, large-frame style, and a simple double V-belt pulley (not the less-adaptable Micro-V style). The luxury nature of the cars meant lots of electrical accessories and lots of draw, hence the substantial output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuelbrody View Post
i am sorry that i did not include
the informationa about buying 36v alternators

yes on line it is possible them
from china

minimum order is 100 pieces at $50 each
and$400 in shipping

Thats 5400 dollars for one altenator
they wont do less
l
Whoa! I didn't suggest you should buy a truckload of Chinese alternators. I suggested to do some research. Try going to the second link that pops up.
Look here:
http://www.americanpowerinc.com/36%2...Alternator.htm
These folks also make 36 volt alternators on a custom -build basis: http://store.alternatorparts.com/alternators.aspx

You should take these links and their products seriously. Your idea to use an automotive alternator has some deficiencies. Auto alternators are not designed to cope with long periods of high draw. They will overheat and fail, or your generator will be limited in usable output. Trust me on this, charging up 3 typical storage batteries at once will cook your alternator. It makes more sense to get a device designed for 36 volt applications and heavy loads. This means industrial or heavy truck alternator.

You may find their products are affordable. You are already considering shipping a new or rebuilt alternator from the US, because used ones are not available to you. This option has some expense. So you may find a proper alternator for this proper application is within your budget.

Finally, you can wire three alternators using three batteries and isolators. It may not suit your application, but for the sake of the conversation, I'm throwing it in there.

For 36 volts (three batteries) the alternators would need to be wired like this:
1.) Alternator #1 would have the ground connected to the frame of the generator. The 12 volt output from it would go to the positive terminal of the first battery and this would be the battery to run the rest of the vehicle off of for 12 volts.
2.) Alternator #2 would have it's isolated ground connected to the positive terminal of the first battery or the negative terminal of the second battery. Then the 12 volt output from it would be connected to the positive terminal of the second battery. From the positive terminal of this battery to chassis ground would be 24 volts.
3.) Alternator #3 would have it's isolated ground connected to the positive terminal of the second battery or the negative terminal of the third battery. Then the 12 volt output from it would be connected to the positive terminal of the third battery. From the positive terminal of this battery to frame ground would be 36 volts.

Last edited by MagicRat; 08-30-2013 at 01:32 AM.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote